The Christmas Holiday is almost here and we really need to make room for more toys! In my opinion, we must remain very flexible when introducing an organizing system to young children. I would suggest that we keep it simple! Many times, the organizing system looks really “neat & organized”, but it may not be very practical and difficult to maintain.
With any new organizing system that we introduce, we must take the time to explain the system, how it is to be used and the benefits to the child as well as the parent. Organizing is a learned behavior — repetition, repetition, repetition and reward, reward, reward!
We have three (3) main objectives:
- We really want them to put their toys (and maybe clothes too?) away.
- We want them to be able to find the toy(s) that they play with most, without emptying the entire toy box every time.
- Periodically, we want to purge their toys, with their help, to make room for new toys. I’d suggest that you start a trade-off system, for each toy you give your child, they should also give up/donate a toy that they no longer play with.
We also need to make clean-up time fun!
- Music always seems to make clean-up time go a little faster (that goes for adults too.)
- Try to make clean-up time a game…. Toss the Toy, Hot Potato…. I don’t know I am trying to be creative.
- Maybe we could try not to play with all the toys, all the time. Of course, we have to remain flexible, but if we divided playtime up into smaller segments, we could clean-up as we go.
- Doll time, Dress-up time, Lego time, Race car time, etc. etc. Again, I am trying to be creative. 🙂
Remember, if the play/clean-up time becomes a routine (repetition, repetition, repetition), it will not appear as restrictive…. and the reward, reward, reward would be less clean-up time!
We are still in the “De-clutter the Mind” and put a little Order in your space mode! Thanksgiving is behind us and Christmas is ahead! So now we may also be in Shop mode? I remember the days of Toys, Toys and more Toys! So Stay Tuned for a few tips….
The Holidays are a Time for Family! However, unfortunately, these times may also be hectic & stressful! Take a moment or two to de-clutter the mind and put a little Order in your space… and make this a time of rest, relaxation and reflection!
Your Mind, Your Body & Your Space!
Our bedroom should be our sanctuary! A place of Peace and Serenity, so Try NOT to work in bed….
Are you getting enough sleep or are you waking up tired?? According to Harvard Medical School, “For optimum health and function, the average adult should get seven to nine hours of sleep every night. But more than 60% of women regularly fall short of that goal. Most women with a sleep debt run it up by burning the candle at both ends — consistently failing to get to bed on time or stay there long enough”.
Women and Sleep
Over the next several months, we will be sharing info on “DeCluttering Your Mind”! Unfortunately, as women, we don’t always acknowledge to ourselves that we get tired of trying to keep all of the many balls of life that we juggle in the air on a daily basis! As we begin another journey of Ordering Your Steps, please share with us the number of hours of RESTFUL sleep that you get each night….